[mapserver-users] Gallery: running mapserver in docker on kubernetes

Yves Jacolin yves.jacolin at camptocamp.com
Thu Aug 29 02:32:01 PDT 2019

Hello,

We are also using Kubernetes/Openshift to deploy our application (MapServer
based or not). For MapServer, we are also using visicurl for S3-hosted
files. We saw some drawback when displaying maps on low scale as too much
files should be read. Visicurl seems copy the files in the container. We
need to check this to confirm, but probably someone have a better
understanding of how visicurl and visis3 work.

Y.

Le jeu. 29 août 2019 à 09:56, Wouter Visscher <wouter.visscher at gmail.com> a
écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> I'm working for the Dutch NSDI www.pdok.nl, where we have around 200
> datasets ranging from the larger ones like address, buildings, cadastral
> parcels and smaller ones like hikingtrails, natura2000, and so on. Our
> platform is used a lot in the Netherlands, both by the public and private
> sector, last year we hit 12 billion requests. To be able to handle that
> amount of traffic we are now in a transition, moving from a private cloud
> solution to the public cloud. With this change, we needed to refactor our
> software stack.
>
> Through some experimentation, and on the job 'training' we are now running
> the following setup:
> A minio.io (S3) blobstore, containing geopackages with the vector data
> and geotiff's for the rasters.
> Our mapserver configurations connects to these files with /vsicurl/. Our
> mapservers are in docker containers that we run on kubernetes.
> With this setup we are able to create a scalable infrastructure from which
> we can push WMS/WFS/WMTS interfaces to the web.
>
> If people are interested in how we deploy our mapserver software stacks I
> would be happy to share our k8s deployment setup/configurations.
>
> Wouter Visscher

Yves Jacolin
Training and support manager - Team Manager
Camptocamp

Tel (France) : +33 4 58 48 20 43
Tel (Switzerland) : +41 21 619 10 43
Mob. : +33 6 18 75 42 21