[mapserver-users] Mapserver installation in cloud environments (kubernetes)

Wouter Visscher wouter.visscher at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 13:07:16 PDT 2021

Hi Andreas,

To answer your question: "Do you know of any work ...."

For the Dutch National Geodata Infrastructure (PDOK) we are running now
(over a year) hundreds of OGC WMS/WMTS/WFS servers (primarily Mapserver and
Mapproxy) on aks (Azure kubernetes).

The challenges you are describing sound very similar to ours :)

To give some small inside on some of our solutions regarding:
deployment: kustomize and operators
cloud optimization: (regarding data) geohashes over GPKG and PostGIS tables
and getting the data as close to the pods as possible.
load balancing: (infrastructure wise) 'standaard'
loadbalancing with traefik, (OGC wise) we are working on a
'ogc-webservice-proxy' for determining the size/duration/location,
basically what is going to be the impact of a request.
resource sharing: (infrastructure) ScaleSets for nodes, and ReplicaSets
based on load, (data) because we have most of the data in GPKG we 'copy'
the data around. So for a service that scales up to 4 pods we have 4 of the
same GPKG copied to that node.

I will share your knowledge with my colleagues, but it seems you reached a
lot of the same conclusions (so far I have read) we have.