[mapserver-users] Fwd: MapServer 7 arithmetic expressions do not work on STYLE attributes?

Andi p3 Domi p3rand0r at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 02:04:36 PDT 2022

I am trying to port my code from MapServer 5 (Oracle) to MapServer 7
(PostgreSQL), but I am encountering an issue when trying to apply
arithmetic expressions in the style class. So previously in MapServer 5 I
would have something like:

DATA "geom from (select pk, geom, size from sizes_of_thing) USING srid
3788 version 11g"
CLASS
    MAXSCALEDENOM 5001
    STYLE
        COLOR [size*2]

Which worked perfectly fine: But if I convert it to MapServer 7 and
PostgreSQL like:

DATA "geom from (select pk, geom, size from sizes_of_thing sot) USING
unique pk USING srid=3788"
CLASS
    STYLE
        COLOR [size*2]

Throws an error such as:

msPostGISLayerWhichShapes(): Error (ERROR:  column "size*2" does not exist

By any chance are these expressions not supported anymore in MapServer
7/PostGIS or am I doing something wrong?

What I have tried so far is to write something like

SIZE [size]*2
SIZE ([size]*2)

create an expression like:

EXPRESSION ("size2" "[size]*2")