[VisCom] Logos, Round II

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Tue Oct 31 11:07:45 EST 2006

Jason Birch wrote:
> I'm pretty sure that the tagline is fixed in stone.  Didn't we run a vote on it?

Yes we did:
https://mail.osgeo.org/servlets/ReadMsg?listName=discuss&msgNo=615

> I like the new graphic, though the old logo seems to degrade to smaller sizes better.  Probably because of the gradient fill.
>
> I didn't like the new green at all at first look.  Too grassy; too much yellow.  I think it's growing on me though.

Same to me, but I don't like green anyway. Why not use 0,255,0 on 0,0,0 and get on with it...

> I do like the full colour version, but think that we need to standardise on white for the word OSGeo on a black background.  I like the one colour version better, but I think it's because of this.  Also possibly because it's "whiter", bringing the overall colour impression very close to our original logo (that I've become used to).
>
> The reversed one is nice too, but in this case, I think that we should lose the shaded effect on the compass spokes.  They don't show up, and the effect is a compass with wonky spokes.
>
> Jason

I feel the need to be more flexible on the part that disallows to experiment with the logo.
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/TrademarkGuidelines#Our_Trademarks

Spelling it the other way round we (Arnulf at CCGIS) cannot use any of our color laser printers to print out flyers because the colors look different on each of them. Not just a little but a lot, it is amazing. Hail technology! Legally speaking I am already breaking the glass by only printing flyers (changing colors = not allowed). I am not meaning to open a discussion, but it the end nothing has an end, so we should also consider the logo to be a process.

Mind me, this does not mean that I want to dilute the brand, etc. We need it, it needs to be stable and coherent and all. As soon as the link buttons are available we will put them on every related project page.

I am happy with this milestone.
+1

Regards, Arnulf.