[Marketing] OSGeo benefits

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 16:35:08 EDT 2010

Jo,
For government, I suggest focusing on government's selection criteria
for projects, which is usually:
* Value for money
* Low Risk

Yes, Open Source licenses are free, but when promoted that way, Open
Source often comes across as being "cheap". Also, the Total Cost of
Ownership for Open Source and Proprietary, when compared head to head,
is often similar, or even favours the proprietary software.

The value for Open Source comes when you consider the extra benefits
open source brings:

In particular:
* If a government invests Open Source software, they can give it away to
the government's community groups, and citizens, for free.

* When you give away your software as Open Source, the international
community will likely use it, and then improve it, which in turn
benefits the local government. (This can be factored into purchasing
selection criteria as Opportunity Management, which is the same as Risk
Management, but in reverse. Ie, identify what could go right, then put
enablement strategies in place to ensure that it happens).

You were after some material for presentations. I'll forward some slides
through for this 15 minute overview of Geospatial Open Source here:
http://blip.tv/file/2748984

I'll send when I get to work in ~ 4 hours.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Director

Think Globally, Fix Locally