[Marketing] exhibition pack application

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at lisasoft.com
Wed Mar 26 02:39:01 PDT 2014

Hi Gavin,
As you have picked up, the marketing committee documents are significantly
out of date, and really need someone to clean them up.
The current situation is that the committee has budget, but lacks
volunteers to set the guidelines and coordinate distribution of the budget.

Bottom line is:
1. We have a clear mandate to pay for non-consumable exhibition pack items
for regions. This typically comes in around $500 to $600.
2. We do have OSGeo board approval to spend money on consumable items at
conference, but until someone is prepared to write down guidelines on
criteria about what is in/out of scope, we are not in a position to
distribute the money.
3. Payment of registration fees to set up a booth at a conference is
typically out of scope, as it would empty the Marketing budget almost
immediately.

Would you be interested in helping set our strategy and marketing
guidelines for moving forward. (Ie, help clean up the wiki)

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 2:17 AM, Gavin Fleming <gavinjfleming at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I'd like to apply for a Regional starter pack and exhibition pack for the
> Africa local chapter.
>
> We have had a presence at many local events in the past but want to ramp
> this up and need support to do so. The big event on the horizon is
> http://africageo.org. OSGeo can get a discounted stand there but it will
> still cost R12000 (~$1100). Any support would be appreciated, financial or
> material. It's not clear from the marketing wiki what is currently approved.
>
> Besides running stands at conferences and events we also try to put an
> OSGeo Live DVD in all delegate packs, do OSGeo Live talks (I have one
> accepted at this conference). We must take advantage of this one since we
> have approval to put the OSGeo Live DVDs into all delegate packs - normally
> the sponsors and other vested interests prevent this.
>
> There is at least one National/Regional/Continental/International GIS
> conference in South Africa every year and many smaller ones. We also put on
> a presence in other countries, for example OSGeo Africa shared stand with
> GSDI/EISAfrica at the AfricaGIS/GSDI14 conference in Addis Ababa last year.
>
> let's discuss...
>
> Gavin
>
> --
> Gavin Fleming