[Marketing] FOSDEM 2014 material: request for refund

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 04:42:05 PDT 2015

Hi Anne,

As mentioned off list,

While what you are asking for is in line with OSGeo goals, I feel it
irresponsible for the OSGeo Marketing Committee to approve funding,
unless you had received approval before purchasing?

My reasons are:
* OSGeo, and by extension the marketing committee are responsible for
managing a budget against a set of guidelines.

* Before money is spent, approval should be sought. Approval should be
granted based on: 1. Are costs in mandate. 2. Are their available funds.

* Our original Marketing spending guidelines [1] have been on
reimbursing "Non-Consumable" items. This request is for "Consumable
items". Ie, this request is out of mandate. There has since been
suggestions to move to also cover Consumables, but no one has followed
through to update the wiki or get it approved.

* Providing retrospective approval would set a precedent which I think
would potentially put OSGeo at financial risk if others were to follow
this example.

As such, I'm voting -0 for covering these expenses, but I am ok with
being out-voted on this one.

I note that the marketing committee is almost completely inactive. If
you don't get at least 3 votes, I suggest asking the board to weigh in
(as Jeff as suggested).

Sorry for the negative response.

One thing that would really help is to have someone volunteer to
revitalise the Marketing committee processes, possibly rewriting from a
fresh start.

  Warm regards, Cameron

1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Committee#Sponsorship_Areas

On 25/07/2015 6:51 pm, Anne Ghisla wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> for last year's FOSDEM in Brussels I ordered OSGeo flyers
> and business cards from a local print shop. All details are
> listed in the wiki page:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSDEM2014
>
> I would like to ask for refund for these items (it sums up to 280
> euros). I can provide off-list the receipt in German, with translation.
>
> I am available for any clarification.
>
> Thanks and kind regards,
>
> Anne

Cameron Shorter,