[Marketing] Introduction

Jan Keil keil at osua.info
Mon Sep 9 14:31:30 PDT 2019

Hi Cameron, Hi Guido, Dear List,

thanks for welcoming me and the direct engage.

Sure, the silence on the list, as you described Guido, isn't an
indicator for engagement.
I was honestly impressed in Bucharest and had the chance to meet at
least a few of you in person,
and exchanged the one or other word, sentence, joke or vision ;)

Nice direct approach to the pain points, Cameron, I like it.
> So here is the challenge you face

Honestly, and not because of playing low, but I don't have the silver
bullet or the "right way".
You ladies&gents have already done a lot, tried different approaches,
probably had your lesson learned, and all this I'm missing out.

Anyway, using the opportunity given, I would like to contribute:

You asked about "sustainability" and "adding value".  Value comes with
sustainability and thus with a plan, strategic directions and
operational execution.
Especially the smallest budget, needs clear KPI's. Hm... and most likely
you will always need to have some financial input to make it happen.
Even you engage the community, incentives, no matter which colour are
what is driving us and for some activities you just need to pay.

Ya, ya, general blah-blah ;)

If you allow, I connect the string from us to a start-up, at least in
regards to some aspects (resource issues [people, money], lots of tasks
- mostly more important, marketing - "well ya".
I attach a preso I held recently. I think there are some relevant points
we could look into.

With an "outside" mind, not knowing anything, right... I would suggest
focusing on 3 main pillars; community, content, partners.
Just to mention some examples.
There is already a great community, within we have for sure hidden
contributors. Connect journalists with those oodles that engineer, code
and know all about GIS.
Connect the community where ever they are, offline or online, e.g.
telegram groups, instagram, etc.
If I understood correct Astrid got CCC media for Bucharest - great take!
There are other organizations sharing certain our values that can be
joined...

Got late already.

Catch up soon,
Jan