[Marketing] OSGeo Sign-on/Website initiative email for project officers

Scott McHale scott.mchale at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 3 10:14:52 PDT 2024

Folks,

In advance of the meeting on Friday, I wanted to provide you my draft of the
initial email out to the project officers to begin gathering views on any
potential website efforts. It is, admittedly, starting very small and casual
so as to encourage as broad a response as possible. We can discuss at the
meeting or please feel free to respond here with any suggestions you might
have.

Thanks,

Scott.

*****************************

Hello,

I'm Scott McHale. I host the small, informal, OSGeo Alberta Chapter each
month here in Alberta, Canada. I am reaching out to you as a project officer
to ask your perspective on a potential initiative within OSGeo.

I have a goal of having as many of my meetup members as possible become
OSGeo members and get their OSGeo Sign-on ID. Not being particularly
technical, myself, I found that process to be a bit disorienting when I did
it and am interested in finding ways to make it less so for other potential
members. In speaking with the Marketing Committee on that subject,
discussion suggested perhaps there would also be value in a further effort
to create a more welcoming pathway on the website for less technical people,
like me.

OSGeo is very diverse with many projects, geographies, and areas of
responsibility and the first step to understanding the potential value of
any initiative would be understanding as many of the perspectives as
possible. I have some detailed questions about measuring success and mapping
of our potential user base, but I would like to begin with a few simple
questions.

>From the perspective of your particular project, geography, or
responsibility:

*	What do you feel the OSGeo website needs to accomplish in terms of
attracting users/members, delivering information or messaging, or anything
else you feel is important?
*	How do you assess whether the OSGeo website is accomplishing the
things you need it to?
*	How successful is the OSGeo website in accomplishing what you need
it to?

Please feel free to provide feedback as formally or informally as you like.
I will gather and summarize the responses to get a starting point on
deciding whether to pursue an initiative more deeply.

If you have any other information you're eager to share - success measures,
community feedback, any technical info you think is relevant - please feel
free to share that as well for further context.

Thanks,

Scott.

Scott McHale

BA Champion.