[MetaCRS] failed epsg wkt (geotools)

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Dec 15 18:43:48 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 03:29:42PM -0800, Norm Olsen wrote:
> Hello Christopher . . .
>
> I think you can safely ignore all coordinate system definitions with a code value higher than 32767.  Essentially, they have all been deprecated.  In fact, you might want to consider ignoring all coordinate system definitions which are deprecated.
>
> The 4882 -> 4892 set are all geocentric definitions.  Is there a form of WKT which handles geocentric coordinate systems?  I don't think I've ever seen a geocentric WKT.  If there is such a thing, could you send me an example?

I have no idea. I've never used WKT for anything SRS related before. I'm
just reading things from the EPSG database and passing them off to
GeoTools.

For deprecated codes, sr.org makes the codes available, and includes the
'deprecated' note prominently in the output.
(http://spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/63266406/ is one example, though
there are many others.) SR.org seeks primarily to be as complete a
reference as possible -- even at the cost of incluing some information
which may not be directly useful. I don't know enough about the EPSG
database to know when something is still in use vs. when it's not.

On my todo list is to actually link the deprecated SRSes to their
replacements (where available) -- probably within the next week or so.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta