[MetaCRS] failed epsg wkt (geotools)

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Dec 16 10:23:09 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 07:50:12AM -0700, Justin Deoliveira wrote:

> Martin Desruisseaux wrote:
> >Christopher Schmidt a écrit :
> >>Is geotidy in a branch, or if I use the 2.6 development jar, do I get
> >>the more correct/recent behavior?
> >
> >It is like a branch. GeoTools 2.6 does not contain the fixes yet. GeoTools
> >will
> >hopefully contains the fixes after Geotidy is merged back to Geotools.
>
> Sorry, this is probably off topic but I definitely would not call it a
> branch. It is a fork of the geotools referencing sub system that is
> incompatible with the rest of Geotools (requires java 6, requires
> additional dependencies that are problematic for the rest of the
> geotools library, etc...

Yeah, I think it's fair to consider anything maintained outside the main
version control system to be a fork rather than a branch, generally
speaking :)

> While Martin is correct that the GeoTools community wants to bring this
> back in and prevent a fork, it 1) requires a lot of resources due to the
> incompatibilities and 2) won't happen for the remainder of GeoTools 2.5.x.
>
> Once again, if off topic I apologize. But if you are planning to wait
> around for GeoTidy to become part of GeoTools I would not hold your breath.

Thanks for the info on GeoTidy from the GeoTools perspective.

I don't think it's particularly off topic; my understanding of the
MetaCRS list is that it's designed such that dictionaries and code
related to spatial referencing systems; even if they *are* Java. :)

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta