[MetaCRS] failed epsg wkt (geotools)

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.fr
Tue Dec 16 10:46:14 EST 2008

Justin Deoliveira a écrit :
> Sorry, this is probably off topic but I definitely would not call it a
> branch. It is a fork of the geotools referencing sub system that is
> incompatible with the rest of Geotools (requires java 6, requires
> additional dependencies that are problematic for the rest of the
> geotools library, etc...

It has *less* dependencies, not more. JAI dependency and Apache dependencies
(the later not introduced by me) are removed. JAXB is not an additional
dependency because bundled in Java 6 and removed from the Java 5 build. I have
also already commited myself to help with the Java 5 port.

As for the fork, as long as I'm the main author of the referencing module (with
special thanks to Rueben Shulz and Jan Jezerk, who are the main external
contributors) and currently the only one maintaining it, it is the only active
development branch. Forks typically have two active development branches; this
is not the case here.

The reasons why I started this major cleanup in a different repository was to
isolate it from the highly heterogenous GeoTools code. It also allows the
nightly build to work (including site and Javadoc) - the GeoTools's one became
too difficult to maintain. The cleanup underway would have been close to
impossible on the GeoTools SVN.

The choice of a distributed versioning system (as opposed to the centralized one
used by GeoTools) allows other folks to have a repository with their own changes
if they wish, because I realize that other peoples have different technical views.

	Martin