[norm.olsen@autodesk.com: RE: [MetaCRS] Using CS-Map to retrieve WKT for EPSG CRS codes: Help?]

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Dec 17 13:36:00 EST 2008

(Forwarding on to the list...)

I don't know if CS-Map specfic discussion is becoming overbearing for
the MetaCRS list, we can perhaps create a CS-Map list for discussion of
CS-Map specifically...

-- Chris

----- Forwarded message from Norm Olsen <norm.olsen at autodesk.com> -----

From: Norm Olsen <norm.olsen at autodesk.com>
To: Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt at metacarta.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 10:22:31 -0800
Subject: RE: [MetaCRS] Using CS-Map to retrieve WKT for EPSG CRS codes: Help?

Hello Christopher . . .

Thanks for the offer.  I have a Vista machine on order, and all new machines are of the 64 bit variety.  It'll have a huge disk drive with four partitions.  One of those partitions will, hopefully, become a Linux 64 installation; assuming I can figure out how to do that and keep Vista running in another partition.  Let's wait and see if I can achieve that.

It has always been an objective of the library to be usable on any machine which supports a C compiler.  C++ usage crept in with the MFC and WKT stuff and is getting more prevalent.  A quick look at the first couple hundred lines of the cs_map.h file will show the original intent to resolve all compiler differences in one source module.  (You'll also see a lot of historical baggage there as well.)  The hardware/software markets overcame my ability to keep up long ago.

I think it will be up to the community to extend the scope of this ability to compile and run anywhere.  I believe there will be strong support from the project committee for such efforts.

Norm