[Newsletter] OSGeo-.... News? Journal?

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Tue Mar 6 13:16:24 EST 2007

On 6-Mar-07, at 7:53 AM, Martin Wegmann wrote:

> OSGeo-Magazine
> OSGeo-Journal
> OSGeo-News
>
> the latter keeps it informal, not expecting a high-end journal - I
> would
> reckon. The others sound more ... interesting, fancy.

OSGeo News sounds good, but it is somewhat misleading since we are
not only doing reports on news, but much more serious stuff too.  It
will work for now, though, I think - unless we can agree on something
better.   I also like "Journal", not as a scientific sort of journal,
but as a chronicle of things over time.  I also like "Magazine" but
then instantly we are competing with other magazines :)  If I have to
chose from these three I'd probably choose Magazine.

Some other ideas:
* OSGeo Report - is pretty informal but also professional sounding,
but maybe sounds too boring
* OSGeo Milestones - to be metaphorical, it is more informal but
helps give idea of movement over time with significant landmarks
along the way

I also prefer two separate words "OSGeo News" without hyphen, for
readability and simplicity.  I don't think grammatically the hyphen
makes sense, at least not in Canadian English.

What does everyone else on this list think about these ideas?  We
know Micha is alive, how about the rest of you?  This list is for you
and I'd love to hear more ideas.