[Journal] Licensing of journal

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Sat May 19 15:04:53 EDT 2007

On 19-May-07, at 11:46 AM, Micha Silver wrote:
>> Are you happy with the licensing side of it?
> Well, by foregoing the more restrictive CC license which allows
> only "noncommercial" distribution (http://creativecommons.org/
> licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/) we're allowing for someone to use articles
> from the Journal in a commercial magazine, or to profit in some
> other way with the help of an OSGeo Journal article - provided she
> gives due attribution, and doesn't change anything.  As far as I
> can envision, distribution of the Journal in a commercial context
> would also further the cause of FOSS GIS, as well as exposure of
> the publication. So why not? In short, I think your choice of the
> by-nd CC license was correct.

Precisely my thoughts as well.

> On the wiki page, you've quoted verbatum the text of the license.
> Notice that the third point, "For any reuse or distribution..."
> mentions "...with a link to this web page". The intention, of
> course, is a link to the creativecommons.org page, and NOT our
> particular OSGeo wiki page. So I've made the word "this" an html
> link to the creativecommons.org page.

Thanks - good idea.

Just so everyone knows, I've emailed all the contributors from volume
1 to gain their approval to apply the license in retrospect - it is
looking positive.  I will add the CC logo and link to our wiki, web
and journal pages shortly.

Also note we are getting a good line up of Volume 2 articles.  I've
also hoped we could have Volume 2 out by August/September.  Does
anyone think we could/should try sooner?  My main interest is having
it available for the FOSS4G event and, perhaps, consider selling (or
giving away) a bound version of Vol 1+2 at the event.  Either way, it
would be fun to have :)