[Journal] Licensing of journal

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Sat May 19 14:46:30 EDT 2007

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:

> Good!  I just modified the topical sentence a bit more.  I just
> softened it a bit:
> "
> Topical articles covering theoretical aspects of GIS are also welcome,
> but are encouraged to also point to specific FOSS implementations.
> "
That sounds fine.
> Thanks for looking at this.
>
> Are you happy with the licensing side of it?

Well, by foregoing the more restrictive CC license which allows only
"noncommercial" distribution
(http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/) we're allowing for
someone to use articles from the Journal in a commercial magazine, or to
profit in some other way with the help of an OSGeo Journal article -
provided she gives due attribution, and doesn't change anything.  As far
as I can envision, distribution of the Journal in a commercial context
would also further the cause of FOSS GIS, as well as exposure of the
publication. So why not? In short, I think your choice of the by-nd CC
license was correct.

On the wiki page, you've quoted verbatum the text of the license. Notice
that the third point, "For any reuse or distribution..." mentions
"...with a link to this web page". The intention, of course, is a link
to the creativecommons.org page, and NOT our particular OSGeo wiki page.
So I've made the word "this" an html link to the creativecommons.org page.

> Tyler

Regards,
Micha