[Journal] Translation of the journal

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Wed May 23 11:34:13 EDT 2007

On 23-May-07, at 6:21 AM, Jacolin Yves wrote:

> Some french people are ready to translate some article of the new
> OSGeo
> journal Vol. 1.
>
> The wiki ask to subscribe to this list to manage the translation.
> What is the
> process? Do I need to just inform that we are going to translate
> some article
> (and give the title)? what is the format you want to?

Salut Yves,
I am just starting to think about how to handle this and have not
made any movement.  Choosing the license was the first step.  Thanks
for starting the discussion.

Who...
I believe we need to have at least 2-3 translators for each language,
with at least one doing proof-reading to double-check the
translator.  It is conceivable that we might get a translation but
not be able to verify it is done well, so having an extra person
available can be very important.

How...
The Journal has source code managed in a subversion code repository,
as latex text files.  Does anyone have ideas for the best way to
handle translated code in SVN?  I would like to keep it all in SVN
alongside the english version - perhaps as just another folder, or
are there special ways within svn that would be helpful to use?
Perhaps some kind of parallel branch that would allow people to
easily compare one language with the original english.  I'm new at
svn, so looking for any ideas.  Let's figure this out before you do
too much.

The other main questions is whether we need translators to handle the
latex code or not.  I think the english editorial team can help
compile the results but won't have time to copy/paste/convert raw
text into latex for translators.  What do others think?

When...
Because I know you are discussing this on the Francophone list, I
know you'll have some good support.  You can start any time but may
need to change the way it is done after we solve some of the above
questions.  Take a peek at the latex code for a simple article and
seeing how exciting it is :)

Looking for your own comments as well as others on this list.

Thanks again,
Tyler

p.s.
You can browse the raw code online at: http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/
browser/journal/volume_1
A simple article example: http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/journal/
volume_1/editorial/mitchell.tex
You can "checkout" the code using SVN command:
svn checkout http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/journal/volume_1/