[Journal] Translation of the journal

Jacolin Yves yjacolin at free.fr
Wed May 23 11:44:55 EDT 2007

Le Wednesday 23 May 2007 17:34:13 Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo), vous avez écrit :
> On 23-May-07, at 6:21 AM, Jacolin Yves wrote:
> > Some french people are ready to translate some article of the new
> > OSGeo
> > journal Vol. 1.
> >
> > The wiki ask to subscribe to this list to manage the translation.
> > What is the
> > process? Do I need to just inform that we are going to translate
> > some article
> > (and give the title)? what is the format you want to?
>
> Salut Yves,
> I am just starting to think about how to handle this and have not
> made any movement.  Choosing the license was the first step.  Thanks
> for starting the discussion.
>
> Who...
> I believe we need to have at least 2-3 translators for each language,
> with at least one doing proof-reading to double-check the
> translator.  It is conceivable that we might get a translation but
> not be able to verify it is done well, so having an extra person
> available can be very important.
> How...
> The Journal has source code managed in a subversion code repository,
> as latex text files.  Does anyone have ideas for the best way to
> handle translated code in SVN?  I would like to keep it all in SVN
> alongside the english version - perhaps as just another folder, or
> are there special ways within svn that would be helpful to use?
> Perhaps some kind of parallel branch that would allow people to
> easily compare one language with the original english.  I'm new at
> svn, so looking for any ideas.  Let's figure this out before you do
> too much.
> The other main questions is whether we need translators to handle the
> latex code or not.  I think the english editorial team can help
> compile the results but won't have time to copy/paste/convert raw
> text into latex for translators.  What do others think?
> When...
> Because I know you are discussing this on the Francophone list, I
> know you'll have some good support.  You can start any time but may
> need to change the way it is done after we solve some of the above
> questions.  Take a peek at the latex code for a simple article and
> seeing how exciting it is :)
>
> Looking for your own comments as well as others on this list.
>
> Thanks again,
> Tyler
>
> p.s.
> You can browse the raw code online at: http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/
> browser/journal/volume_1
> A simple article example: http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/journal/
> volume_1/editorial/mitchell.tex
> You can "checkout" the code using SVN command:
> svn checkout http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/journal/volume_1/
* Who:
Yes, I try to find another person to read my translation each time I can. So I
agree with you!
* How:
Well, I like how qgis manage this  :
http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/DocumentationWritersCorner

They use svn as well, not always easy for people who don't manage svn, but a
translator manager can help for this.

LaTeX can be a problem (not for me). You asked some question about a framework
to manage journal, is it better to manage translation and create PDF ?

I will check the code. Thanks for your answer.

Regards,

Y.
--
Yves Jacolin