[Journal] Translation of the journal

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Tue May 29 10:18:56 EDT 2007

Hello everyone

On Tue, 29 May 2007, Jacolin Yves wrote:

> One package must be added in the document source which manage all the article
> (ie OSGeoJournal_vol1.tex), it's the babel package (change "Biblography"
> to "Bibliographie", "chapter" to "chapitre" to give some french exemples).
>
> Do you think that hyphens dictionaries are link to this package?

I've just been reading through the documentation for the babel package and
I see that yes, it includes the hyphenation and should do everything
needed. I think the source file encoding issue is a red herring - it is
barely mentioned at all in the documentation and I think it is irrelevant:
you still have to put in accented characters using escape codes. There are
two extra macros for quotes: \og and \fg for formatting French "guillemet"
quote characters correctly. And it also does the figure/caption names in
French and adjusts the spacing of a few things to conform with French
standards.

As far as I can make out though you don't need to translate chapter into
chapitre or anything like that - I think all the translation needs to do
is change the actual article text and titles and leave the structural /
layout commands exactly the same - that way the layout of the translated
editions will be as close as possible to the original.

Another option would be to only load the hyphenation patterns with
\begin{hyphenrules}{\french} at the start of the document (i.e. not load
the full babel package), and keep all the spacing rules exactly the same
as with the American English version - it might preserve the original
layout slight more exactly but I don't think going that far is really
necessary - using the babel package to automatically adjust the formatting
to make the layout more appealing to French readers is more important
IMHO.

So it looks like what Martin suggests is all that needs to be done, apart
from of course escaping quote characters correctly. And I would guess the
translated versions should have perhaps a box on one of the pages where
there is currently blank space, explaining that this is a translated
version, all the authors listed are the orginial authors and this edition
has been translated into the XXXX language by the XXXX translation team,
with a list of members. Or something like that.

I suppose this opens the way now for multi-lingual authors to submit
versions of their article in different languages now?? Maybe if their
native language is not English it would result in a better-reading article
if a native English speaker translated it? But I would guess there would
always have to be an English version submitted because of the review
process and for the use of the editorial team operating in English, or ???

Paul