[Journal] Regrouping for 2008 - quick questions

Sunburned Surveyor sunburned.surveyor at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 10:45:24 EST 2008

Tyler wrote: "Will you continue/discontinue to work on the journal this year?"

I'd like to contribute a couple of more articles on spatial
relationships, but this time with some source code. I think the
representation of the Java community at OSGeo is a little week, so it
would be nice to see some Java code in the
Journal. :]

I'll continue to serve as programming editor, but it be really great
if we could find a more experienced programmer to do so. :]

Tyler wrote: "Would you like your role to change in some way?  How/where/why
would you like to help?"

Please see my comment about about finding a more experienced programming editor.

Tyler wrote: "How can we get more content through our process faster? E.g.
improve getting from drafts-->to final easier?"

Could we set up some time of calendar, like a Google calendar, that
has dates for the deadlines for each issue of the jounral? Just a
thought...

Tyler wrote: "What were your top annoying things about the production process in
2007?"

Learning LaTex... (It really wasn't that bad.)

Tyler wrote: "What was the highlight of 2007 Journal volumes for you?"

Just the fact that we got a journal produced felt like a major
accomplishment, and something to be proud of. I can't think of another
professional publication that I would rather contribute to as an
author.

* What's the biggest challenge for the Journal in the future?

[1] Attracting new authors.
[2] Translating into various languages.

* Was 3 volumes in one year too many?  just right? too few?

It felt just right to me, but I only worked on the first two (2) issues.

I would like to see us get on the same page with the Education
committee. They've been talking about using Docbook for the written
educational material. I really don't want to see authors using LaTex
for the Jounral but Docbook for the education committee. I think we
could come up with a common system that works for both.

I also think it would be cool to have an Authors page with a short bio
for authors and a link to there articles in the Journal.

Landon