[Journal] Regrouping for 2008 - quick questions

Martin Wegmann wegmann at biozentrum.uni-wuerzburg.de
Wed Jan 23 04:59:17 EST 2008

On Montag, 21. Januar 2008 21:59:51 Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
> Happy new year,
> As some of you may have noticed I finally put up a deadline for the
> next volume.
> This is going to be an incredible issue if we can get it all
> together.  But first I'd like to invite you all to take a few moments
> to share your feedback from our first full year of the OSGeo Journal.
>
> Please share with me via the list:
> * Will you continue/discontinue to work on the journal this year?  Or
> if you are new, are ready to start contributing now?

yes, but due to some work-related issues less than last year.

> * Would you like your role to change in some way?  How/where/why
> would you like to help?

> * How can we get more content through our process faster? E.g.
> improve getting from drafts-->to final easier?

more editors -> faster editing

> * What were your top annoying things about the production process in
> 2007?

too many SPAM mails on the list - I have to delete 20-50 each day - I don't
know if the mailinglist software has any SPAM filtering software.
However that's only an issue for Tyler and me, but nevertheless annoying.

well, personally I think we are still not enough people for the job
(formatting, proof-reading, Latex fixes, etc.) to be done quickly - I would
like to see that the work-load is split more equally - Tyler is doing too
much

> * What was the highlight of 2007 Journal volumes for you?

get it running

> * What's the biggest challenge for the Journal in the future?
> (solutions welcomed too :) )

keep it running - more readers - being recognized by scientist/industry etc.
ML/blogs

I would like to see an interview series with developers, power-users etc. -
quite interesting who is behind project XY. but that requires another editor.

> * Was 3 volumes in one year too many?  just right? too few?

3 sounds fine, a quarterly release would be better but do we have enought
articles, editors etc.?

Martin