[Journal] Regrouping for 2008 - quick questions

Rafal Wawer Rafal.Wawer at sadl.kuleuven.be
Fri Jan 25 07:31:48 EST 2008

Happy New Year everyone,
Following Tylor's request to introduce new mailing list's members I'd
like to write a few words about myself. At present I am working at K.U.
Leuven within CASCADOSS (www.cascadoss.eu) project and some other FOSS4G
training initiatives performed at SADL (Spatial Applications Division
Leuven). My professional experience includes: GIS/RS in
environmental/agricultiral/spatial management domains, watershed
modelling, fundamental research on soil science and soil erosion issues.
More details to be found at
http://www.erozja.iung.pulawy.pl/pracownicy/rafwawEn.htm I am interested
in FOSS4G since 2000 as I was looking for free solutions for my PhD
research. Later on I have been using FOSS4G in my enterprise. Now,
within CASCADOSS I am involved in software evaluation process and
general project management. I am strongly dedicated to the idea of
FOSS4G as, knowing from my own experience in Poland, the lack of free
software for GI and also inavaiability of free spatial data, hold the
development of GI market as well as deminish the range of environmental
assessments and potential scientific progress. I hope to be able to take
part in changing the actual state, not only in Poland. This also a good
moment to start, as EU itself adresses the importance of OSS in its IT
systems and newly accessed member states are interested in improving
their GI systems and spatial data.

Regarding the OSGeo Journal.
I am very happy that the Journal appeared, presenting a professional
forum for FOSS4G research and development issues. I would very much like
to participate in the development of the Journal, but unfortunetly I
cannot take much work, as I am involved very strong within CASCADOSS
project and training initiatives at least till the end of August 2008.

I think 3 volumes a year is not enough, but I guess the number of
volumes/year can be flexible, depending upon the number of articles
received. At the moment there is still place for new articles in each
journal's section. When the interests in publishing in OSGeo will grow,
the number of volume issued will have to adapt. I think, the Journal's
peer reviewed sections can attract more young researchers, especially
PhD students, who are interested in gaining their "credit points" for
the PhD or research experience. There are several other scientific
journal focused on modelling, software and GI, but the time between
submitting an article and getting it printed usually takes a long time.
If OSGeoJournal will care for fast publication it may be more attractive
to those young authors. I hope CASCADOSS deliverables will result in
growing number of publications submitted to OSGeoJournal from CASCADOSS
"affected"  (-; countries.

Best regards:
Raf

Dr. Rafal Wawer
K.U.Leuven
R&D Division SADL (Spatial Application Division)
Celestijnenlaan 200e bus 2224
BE-3001 Leuven-Heverlee
Belgium
tel. 0032 16 329731