[Journal] Update and next steps

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Wed Jun 4 13:42:45 EDT 2008

Hi all, sorry for little to no communication over the past couple
months - I've been focused on other work.  Interest in the journal
has continued to grow over the past 6 months and I believe we have
more editors and reviewers ready to contribute than before.  However,
my time availability on the journal has been much reduced and I'm
still looking for more ways/ideas to help make the journal happen.

I would like to open up the discussion on this list to find some
ways, maybe a volunteer - even temporary - associate editor who can
help see the next volume through production.  Volume 4 is still the
OSGeo Annual Report and no it has not all been finalised yet.  If you
are looking for something to do, I encourage you to grab a copy from
SVN and review/edit it.  It is certainly ready for review, though one
primary article is missing.

I think the next steps for Volume 5 are to get all article
submissions into the online system:
http://www.osgeo.org/ojs/index.php/journal
Currently there are only 6 articles in the system.  But if we can get
the number up to maybe 10, then I think it would be a good time to
start the production cycle.  Until then, let's discuss any ideas you
have - then wait and see for when we get enough articles for an issue.

Make sense?