[Journal] Next steps

Tyler Mitchell tmitchell.osgeo at shaw.ca
Wed Sep 23 12:55:22 EDT 2009

Thanks for all the feedback folks.  More below...

> > 2. I would suggest to have a bit more time for articles, if we want
> > something more than just announcements. I would suggest at
> least a month
> > which pushes submissions towards the end of October and the rest
> > accordingly.

This is reasonable for me.  If we end up setting a concrete deadline that persists from year to year, I'd aim for mid-year and end-of-year anyway.

> > 4. Tyler, could you draft a call for contributions that the
> section editors
> > can amend accordingly and we can then push it to the community

> > One crucial question is
> if we need
> > one or two issues per year.

As Yves also mentioned, two should be a minimum.  We will always have the Annual Report, which I could really use the whole editorial teams help with at some point.   I do see that it may not be as exciting as more general articles would be, but it's pretty critical and is a bit easier to manage so is nice way to cut our teeth.  So after the annual report, I'd like at least one more issue.

>  They have invited papers as well as submissions which
> seems a good
> idea if the journals is to become prestigious....

Several articles from previous issues were invited, at least invited by me.  I, and other editors, hunted down potential contributors to fill the issue if there weren't enough contributors already.  It worked out well.

> >  One thing they have is an ISSN - I don't know how you'd
> get one of
> these but would it be useful to have for the OSGEO Journal?

Most definitely.  We have one already!

>  They have a nice LaTeX template system for article
> submissions which
> reduces the work for editors, but they don't have an organised web
> site like OJS.

We can provide a template already as well, but in the end I prefer to not bother authors about format and let us editors or other helpers to twist it into our final latex version - the idea being to lower the barrier to contributors.

So, back to schedule, what do you think about one issue for June, another for December?  December is nice because it is well into the traditional winter semester, so any academics might have papers by then (??).  As well as June, some good wrap up papers for the year might be available.   Also, December is good because it can always publish a select bunch of papers from FOSS4G presentations!

And finally, the main point/need we have is that we, as a committee/project need to feel ownership of the project.  If there is any sense that this is *my* project, please put it to rest, but I do want to make sure we move forward in a meaningful way that benefits OSGeo and its community.

Your thoughts??