[Journal] Next steps

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Wed Sep 23 19:47:23 EDT 2009

Had this in draft.. forgot to send yesterday :)...

On Tue, 2009-09-22 at 09:33 +0200, Rafal Wawer wrote:
> Hi Mitchel,
> Good to hear from you. (-:
> The deadline for new articles is IMO quite short... Unless we put the announcement in a very exposed place.
>
> It would be nice to have a fixed timing for the journal: deadlines for submission, decisions, review, issues, etc. Both parties - editors/reviewers and authors, would have clear picture. Submission deadlines could be announced on the OSGeo website and mailinglists some 2-3 months in advance, so the authors will have enough time to prepare good papers.
> How about setting up 2 releases a year for a start? (-:

Not a bad idea Rafal,
In the past I was not able to commit to being available for hard
deadlines, depending on a lot of travel and also the annual report
requirements.  As long as we can kickstart a couple more high level
helpers, like Landon, Micha, Yves etc.. then I'm sure we can commit to
doing more - but it will have to be a team effort for sure!

I've got a lot of interest/support from many many reviewers, this is
great.  Let's get our editor house in order, then I'll feel more
confident :)