[Journal] Re: Next steps

Dimitris Kotzinos kotzino at csd.uoc.gr
Wed Sep 30 17:45:53 EDT 2009

Dear all,

as I said some time ago the discussion comes down to what kind of
Journal we are interested in.
I read all the suggestions with interest, and I have to admit that most
of them are well put and help considerably the overall discussion. For
example the suggestion to collaborate with JOSIS for the scientific
publications is excellent (I do like it and it displays the need for a
separate peer reviewed publication mechanism) but in my opinion opens up
a wealth of other questions, for example:
- if scientific publications is somewhere else then what do we publish?
Only developer news, use cases? But then we cannot run it as it is, we
need a more frequent publishing schedule and move towards a newsletter.
- if we need e.g. two special issues per year, a separate set of our own
editors and some of FOSS4G papers then why don't we publish our own
issue and we want to collaborate with JOSIS?
- on exactly the opposite side: is there enough material for separate
academic/scientific issues?

So to recap: I think that we should start the discussion on deciding
what we want to be published in the Journal, what we see as the
connection of the Journal with the academic world will be (for me this
is an interesting question for OSGeo in general), whom we are interested
in addressing. So what kind of journal do we want?

I decided to do the easy job and set forward some questions for the
moment. I promise to try to come back with a sketch of my views on them.

Regards,

Dimitris

P.S.: Welcome, Zachary! :)