[Journal] Help on LaTex Syntax for Journal

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Fri Dec 3 12:30:41 EST 2010

On December 3, 2010 07:52:11 am Sunburned Surveyor wrote:
> I'm working on converting the Media Mapping article. I also installed
> MikTex so I can see if I can at least convert the individual articles
> to PDF to check my latex conversion work. I don't know about getting
> the whole Journal to PDF. That Make file scared me!

You can ignore the makefile.  All you really need to do is run:
pdflatex OSGeoJournal_vol8.tex
to make a PDF from the master document.  Now, that master doc is truly worth
being scared of ;-)

> At any rate, I've been working to get a couple or proposals out the
> door at work this week and haven't had time for more conversion work
> since I last posted my questions. I'll try to get some more done next
> week. To be honest, the conversion to LaTex is taking a little more
> effort than I thought, as it is with most endeavors in life. :]

Let some of the rest of us help convert some docs over.  I highly recommend
you do not worry about layout/design stuff or how the doc will look in PDF at
this stage.  That's something that we can work on together after everythings
compiled.  Things will change once all articles are brought together into one
doc.

Unless, of course, there are funky tables or something, but even then I
suggest just converting text and images into latex first.  Add in a few
footnotes where needed and some text styles - what other problems are there?
Ah, bibliographies probably causing pay eh?  Knew we shouldn't have had peer
review academic articles ;-) (kidding!)

> There was already one article submitted by the author in Latex. Except
> for this article and the media mapping article, all the other peer
> review articles need to be converted.

Okay, I'll take a look too.