[Journal] Need Volunteers

Rafal Wawer Rafal.Wawer at sadl.kuleuven.be
Tue Feb 9 04:19:10 EST 2010

Kalimera Dimitris,
Welcome on board! (-:

For the secton editor working on OJS assuring double-blind review is not that difficult. You just remove authors' names in the text sent to reviewers. OJS cares for the rest, as every decision must go through the section editor and there is no direct connection between author and reviewer. You have to remember to check reviewers' comments thought, whether they are accidentaly signed. (-;

IMO assuring double-blind review is a must at least in the peer review section. Recently I had an interesting conversation with one of professors about OpenAccess journals. Good publications tend to go to indexed journals although OpenAccess seem to promiss wider dissmination and citations... "Open journals do not have calculated IF" and IMO not applying good editorial practise won't help in taking them seriously. (-;
Everyone says that OpenAcces is future, everyone complains about the commercial titles - "robbing authors from coyrights and money". As author you pay for the paper to be published, you loose the rights to it and everyone has to pay to read it. On the other hand from scientific point fo view, OpenAcces is still not taken seriously enough, so the scientists (especially those mature ones) complain but don't do much to change the status quo. They also complain, that open journals are often quite messy - "gorilla journals" (-; as basing upon volountary work is often a sunstantial challange - I think we know it to be true (-;
For me is is a pitty, that through "traditional" scientific publication system, the access to knowledge, especially in the environmental domain, is closed or limited for the developing countries.

Best regards:
Raf

Dr. Rafal Wawer
K.U.Leuven
R&D Division SADL (Spatial Application Division)
Celestijnenlaan 200e bus 2224
BE-3001 Leuven-Heverlee
Belgium
tel. 0032 16 329731