[Journal] Preliminary LaTex Conversion Guidelines

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Wed Feb 24 07:21:49 EST 2010

On 02/24/2010 02:05 PM, Barry Rowlingson wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 12:59 AM, Sunburned Surveyor
> <sunburned.surveyor at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> I put some preliminary guidelines for LaTex conversion on the wiki
>> page. This checklist is based on Barry's recent e-mail. I will
>> continue to update this checklist as I learn more about LaTex. Please
>> help me improve the checklist if you can!
>>
>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/LaTex_Conversion_Guidelines
>>

>   I'm currently hacking away at the OSgeoJournal-xxx.tex master file,
> supporting folders, and the current LaTeX conversions to make them
> work. It's taking some effort, there were things in some of the two
> .tex files that meant they could never have been successfully LaTeX'd
> - stray } here and there and so on.
>
>   There's been a few \commands from various packages used in the
> articles which I've added to the preamble. Also the sextante.tex
> article is full of non-ascii characters for ligatures - this is where
> two letters that clash when printed together are made from a new
> single letterform - fi, ff, ffl and so on. I'll edit most of these
> into shape, but whoever created the sextante.tex file might want to
> find out where in their workflow this happened. I suspect it came from
> the PDF, which has its own character coding for ligatures.

Barry:

I'm responsible for the sextante.tex mess. It was submitted as a pdf, so
I ran it thru pdf2text, then copy-pasta to a tex document. Thus the
multitude of problems. I'll try to clean it up this evening, unless you
beat me to it ;-)
--
Micha

>   It's also making me think how best to organise journal production at
> this scale, and I have some ideas that I'll put forth. But in a bit.
>
> Barry

Micha Silver
http://www.surfaces.co.il/
Arava Development Co.  +972-52-3665918