[Journal] Help on LaTex Syntax for Journal

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Mon Nov 29 17:22:47 EST 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 10:13 PM, Sunburned Surveyor
<sunburned.surveyor at gmail.com> wrote:
> I started work today converting the first of the peer review articles
> into LaTex. I need help to clarify a couple of syntax issues on the
> LaTex commands we use for the Journal. Here my questions:

Maybe I am less involved but here some suggestions from a continous
LaTex'er:

> - Do we use the includegraphics command for graphics in the journal?

yes please.

> If so, do what parameters do we pass to the includegraphics command?

I usually use
\includegraphics[width=0.70\textwidth]{myfigure}

and myfigure is a PNG file or PDF file. Note that I use "pdflatex" which is
the best choice.

> - What file formats can we support with the includegraphics command?

PNG and PDF (for vector drawings or combined stuff).

> - I've been using \cite{Polak and Hoose 2008} to convert a citation in
> the form (Polak and Hoose 2008). Will this work with the bibliography
> system we are using with the journal?

Yes, with "natbib" for example.

> - Any suggestions on where I look to see how I code the list of
> references at the end of a peer-review article? Are we using bibtex
> for this?

It is highly recommended to use Bibtex. Also since you can grab references
from Google Scholar (just activate it in the Advanced settings) and many
other scientific journal sites and reference software.

Hope this helps,
Markus

--
http://gis.ambiente.fmach.it/