[Journal] Update On Volume 9: 2010 Annual Report

Landon Blake sunburned.surveyor at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 17:53:31 EST 2012

Journal Team:

I’ve uploaded PDF copies of the chapter annual reports and software
project annual reports to SVN. I’ve also uploaded a preliminary draft
of a PDF copy of my interview with Tyler Mitchell. Here is what I’ll
be working on this weekend:

- Article on recent changes to the US patent system and the potential
impacts on open source software projects.
- Article on JTS Warped library.
- My editorial.
- Cover production.

Here is what I could use help with now:

- Review of PDF articles currently in the SVN repo.
- Conversion of completed articles to stand-alone HTML.
- Conversion of stand-alone HTML files into EPUB format.

I hope to have all the stand-alone PDF files complete and the
composite PDF complete by the end of next week. Once this is done,
I’ll announce the publishing of Volume 9 on the OSGeo discuss mailing
list and will ask for contributions for the 2011 annual report. While
I'm waiting for those contributions I'm going to focus on making the
stand-alone HTML versions and EPUB of Volume 9 available to our
readers.

I’ll be trying to put together the team for the 2011 annual report the
week after next. Please let me know if you can help!

You’ll note I’ve used Scribus to create the PDF files for this volume.
All of the Scribus template files have been loaded into the SVN. I
plan on using Scribus for the 2011 annual report as well. As long as
I’m doing most of the post-production, Scribus is going to be my PDF
layout and creation tool. If you don’t like this approach, I invite
you to step into the post-production role and resume PDF creation
using LaTex.

I apologize it has taken me so long to get the 2010 annual report put together.

Thanks.

Landon

P.S. – I sent a message to the board mailing list with some questions
about the long term strategy for the journal. If you are interested,
you can read my message in the archives.