[North America] updated status 25 Nov 2011

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Fri Nov 25 15:36:50 EST 2011

On 11-11-25 11:32 AM, Mark Lucas wrote:

> There has been very constructive discussion on the various lists related
> to the North America chapter, ideas for an annual regional conference,
> and what can be done to assist the international event in Beijing this
> year. I think most of the questions are being addressed adequately and I
> sense that we are headed for approving the NA chapter at the next board
> meeting the first part of December. If we have missed anything, or
> anyone has questions, pleased let us know so we can do our best to
> address any concerns and promote good ideas.

One suggestion: even if that is not a documented requirement I would
suggest that the NA chapter form a steering committee responsible for
making all decisions relating to the chapter and a possible conference.

This steering committee would have open operation rules similar to
OSGeo's project PSCs, with an open/balanced membership, etc. A committee
with 5 or 7 interested parties could be good to get started.

I suggest this because one of the tough decision that this committee
will have to make eventually is the location of the conference each
year... a decision that is much easier to make for a well identified
steering committee than a single individual trying to gather consensus
from an unorganized group.

I speak from experience, having witnessed the tough decision process to
decide on the MapServer Users Meeting location after the first years in
Minneapolis and Ottawa. If there had been an organized steering
committee for this event at the time it would have been easier to plan
each of the following year's location (the problem went away when OSGeo
was created of course).

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/