[Oceania-Board] Proposal: policy as code

Alex Leith alexgleith at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 02:35:27 PST 2020

Hey Folks

We've been talking a lot about working in the open, and we are 99% through
approving a number of documents, and to be honest, I'm finding it very hard
to keep up with where we're at on a lot of them.

I'd like to propose something, just as a discussion point for now, but what
I'm proposing is that we do policy documents as markdown documents in a Git
repository.

There's a few reasons why this is good, and some that may make it
unfeasible.

The good:

   - We have one repository of documents
   - There's versioning, so you can see the history of changes
   - We make it open with an open license
   - It's easily discoverable
   - Changes can be made in a pull request and discussed and iterated there

The bad:

   - It's a technical solution, and still requires us to write documents
   - It is an impediment to editing documents, as some find it hard.

Just a thought...

Cheers,

--
Alex Leith