[Oceania-Board] Discussion re: webinars with GCA GIS and Digital Analytics Working Group

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 23:12:46 PST 2024

Hi all, just a quick update...

Ewen and I just joined an exploratory chat with the Geospatial Council of
Australia GIS and Digital Analytics Working Group. They're working on a
webinar series and they suggested collaborating on a webinar with open
source related content.

By coincidence, Ewen and I had been discussing the idea of an OSGeo Oceania
webinar series, perhaps via the Communications Working Group.

There was a suggestion of an MOU, we let them know that there's already a
discussion happening between OO and GCA regarding a potential MOU, so they
said they would follow that up. My thought is that it's probably not
required yet - we need a U before we have an MOU.

One question that came up was whether the webinar would be free of charge.
It's a possibility but there may be a need for cost recovery, perhaps
through sponsorship.

Anyway, it was a very preliminary discussion, there's nothing concrete on
the table yet. More details to come. Potentially a great way for us to
reach a wide audience that's very open-curious!

Should it progress further, any ideas on potential topics? QGIS and OSM
technical sessions came up, and there was a suggestion of an "open source"
panel of some kind.

Cheers
John