[Aust-NZ] Where to now? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Byron Cochrane cochranes4 at eml.cc
Tue Nov 17 12:07:44 PST 2009

 Hello,

This seems like the perfect opening to bring up something that I
have been thinking about.  Here in NZ we are looking to do a big
"all of GIS" joint/concurrent conference in 2011 centered around
the cross-tasman SSSI conference booked for Wellington that year.
 Being an SSSI member and on the ESRI NZ user group committee I
know that there is a lot of momentum building for this event.  I
understand that the NZ MapInfo user group, andI believe
Intergraph. are on board with this idea as well.

I would also like to see a strong FOSS4G  presence at this
conference as well.  But I think t would be a big ask for the NZ
OSGeo community to manage this by ourselves.  We are too few in
numbers, lacking in organizational or corporate support, and many
of us, like myself, would find our energies split between
organizing for FOSS4G and the other conference participants.
Participation from Australia would help with most these issues.
And as SSSI is a cross-tasman event, it would makes sense for a
concurrent FOSS4G to be as well.

The details of what this conference or amalgamation of
conferences might look like is extremely vague at this point.  By
next March we should have a somewhat better idea as to the over
all format. This could be a great chance for FOSS4G to get some
broader exposure to the wider GIS community and to a sizable
audience.  Tagging it on to another conference might make it
easier for some participants to justify the expense as well.

Oh yes, the conference, I believe is scheduled to run between the
semi-finals and and finals of the Rugby World Cup events.

Cheers,
Byron

 Ben.Searle at osdm.gov.au wrote:

Hi,

I think that there are a number of opportunities for the open
source geo (OSG) community.  The Government 2.0 Task Force will
be reporting later this year and I hope that this opens up
opportunities to maker more government data easily accessible.

This provides two opportunities:

1. Assisting with developing tools to support data discovery and
access - given that much of the government data will be spatial,
this is an area for OSG.

2. With access to a wider range of data the OSG community can
develop a range of tools to mash up this data.

Additionally, I am keen to see some OSGeo components in the
[1]Spatial at Gov 2010 conference.

I am happy to discuss further.......

  Regards

  Ben Searle
  General Manager,
  Australian Government Office of Spatial Data Management

  Phone: 02 6249 9298
  Mobile: 0439-995-785
  Fax: 02 6249 9942
  Email: [2]ben.searle at ga.gov.au
  Postal address: GPO Box 378, Canberra ACT 2601