[OSGeo Oceania] membership - elections - AGM

Alex Leith alexgleith at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 03:08:04 PDT 2019

Hi All

Perhaps free membership that requires an action each year to remain a
member, even if it's clicking a link in an email or something trivial?

I'm not sure what the risk of being swamped by bad actors is... is it
something that has happened to other OSGeo groups?

I think having elections as part of the AGM is a better idea. We can ensure
that we have some kind of system enabled for remote access.

And I don't think we need a CRO for the elections, just a sound an
equitable system that we're pretty good at pulling together usually.

Cheers,

On Thu, 5 Sep 2019 at 12:28, adam steer <adam.d.steer at gmail.com> wrote:

> HI John
>
> I also like the OSGeo process for charter members, and an ability to prune
> members with a clear minimum participation level, as in anyone who did note
> vote or return an apology is gone. Which might seem pretty harsh, but once
> a year reading some summaries and ticking a box is pretty low bandwidth.
>
> We need to resolve paid membership first - the constitution is ok with
> either free or paid membership. I think the OSGeo system works in part
> because it's free.
>
> By contrast in OSMF, I just paid them money and I can vote. If I stop
> paying, I can’t vote anymore - so it's a different model. And also ok.
>
> I think the first (OSGeo) approach mitigates the risk of being overrun by
> interest groups. If we want to mix that with paid membership, I think we
> will have to get people to nominate themselves as members - so that would
> end with money plus a ‘positive attributes’ qualifier being two bars to
> cross.
>
> I think we need one, or the other - we can’t do both. I prefer membership
> remaining free (like OSGeo), with a clearer boundary around what the
> conditions are (less clear in OSGeo, much more clear for OSMF).
>
> As OSGeo Oceania grows, it’s probably necessary to adjust the constitution
> to have a ’no veto’ approach to voting on board members and new members,
> rather than quotas or numbers. I wonder if that’s possible?
>
> Sorry, bit of an essay - trying to unpack tangled thoughts.
>
> Cheers

Alex Leith
m: 0419189050