[OSGeo Oceania] 2020 board directors: 1 & 2 year terms

Martin Tomko tomkom at unimelb.edu.au
Sun Jan 5 18:31:26 PST 2020

Same here,
+1 for process, and volunteering for 1 year.
M.

From: Oceania <oceania-bounces at lists.osgeo.org> on behalf of adam steer <adam.d.steer at gmail.com>
Date: Monday, 6 January 2020 at 12:58 pm
To: John Bryant <johnwbryant at gmail.com>
Cc: "Oceania at lists.osgeo.org" <Oceania at lists.osgeo.org>
Subject: Re: [OSGeo Oceania] 2020 board directors: 1 & 2 year terms

Hey all

I am also happy to volunteer for one year.

+1 for John's process.

Cheers,

On Mon, 6 Jan 2020, 12:02 pm John Bryant, <johnwbryant at gmail.com<mailto:johnwbryant at gmail.com>> wrote:
Hi OSGeo Oceania board,

Our Constitution says:

In order to implement staggered terms [...] half of the newly-elected Directors will be appointed to a half term of one year. These Directors will volunteer or be chosen by random selection.

The purpose of this is to make sure that in future, annual board elections will only be for half the positions, to make sure there's continuity across years.

By way of a process, I propose this:

  1.  Directors volunteer for 1 year terms (with 2 years being the default).
  2.  If needed to re-balance, we draw straws<https://www.dsrw.org/~dlg/web/straws.php> to ensure we have half for each of 1 & 2 year terms. Since we have 9 directors this will be 4/5 or 5/4. We can draw straws at our board meeting this coming Thursday.
For example:

  *   2 directors volunteer for a 1 year term: draw 2 straws from the remaining 7 directors, and the short straws take a 1 year term -> 5 @ 2 years, 4 @ 1 year
  *   6 directors volunteer for a 1 year term: draw 1 straw from those 6 directors, and the short straw takes a 2 year term -> 4 @ 2 years, 5 @ 1 year
Sound fair?

I'm happy to volunteer for a 1 year term.

Cheers
John