[OSGeo Oceania] [FOSS4G-Oceania] Good Mojo funds

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 03:25:51 PDT 2020

I've worked closely on the Good Mojo program over the last couple of years,
and I sincerely thought this proposal would be a good fit with the
principles of the program. But the proposal, the LOC's request, and a board
motion to enable it [1] didn't reach the quorum needed to make a decision,
and so it appears to be dead.

Of course, I'm disappointed this particular proposal wasn't supported, but
I'm more concerned that the first attempt at transparent decision making in
several months hasn't worked.

I believe that effective community building requires a high level of trust,
and to maintain trust, you must deliver on your promises. To gain this
community's trust, OSGeo Oceania was founded on a promise to operate
transparently, including a commitment to discussion and making decisions in
the open. I feel the community has a reasonable expectation that OSGeo
Oceania will live up to this commitment.

I urge the board to restore effective practices that deliver transparency
as soon as possible (if it's helpful, I can make specific and constructive
suggestions). If this isn't practical, then I think it would be helpful to
explain why, so we're not left wondering why there is a gap between pledge
and practice.

Why do I care? I'm motivated by my love of this community, and the mission
of a better world through openness. I'm making this case because I want
this community to thrive, and I think transparency is vital to that. I hope
this message is received in the constructive spirit in which it's offered.

Thanks
John

[1]
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/oceania-board/2020-September/000000.html