[OSGeo Oceania] Transparency (was: Update)

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 23:22:11 PDT 2021

I've split this into a new thread and removed the original private email,
which was posted by mistake.

I'm very sorry to see Bruce choosing to step away, I have great respect for
his inputs over the last few years. I think it raises an important issue
for OSGeo Oceania and this community.

I agree with Edoardo and Bruce that communications must be open, for
reasons both principled and pragmatic; this is what open source communities
are all about.

OSGeo Oceania was created on a promise of transparency [1], and should live
up to that promise. The board in particular has the opportunity to lead by
example, and set the tone for this open community.

I believe most of the current board agrees with this, and the 2021 board
got off to a great start, returning discussion to public lists, using a
public Loomio for voting on motions, and voting in favour of opening board
meetings [2]. Kudos to Edoardo for his huge efforts in leading this push.

Part way through the year the board's public discussion seemed to drop off
considerably, immediately following a discussion about transparency
(ironically).

As an outsider, I don't know what the board discusses in private. But if I
may speculate: there may be a small minority who prefer the board to
operate in private, and the force of their opposition to measures intended
to improve transparency could have a chilling effect on the rest of the
board's commitment to operate in public.

I believe this dynamic, if it exists, is a severe detriment to the
functioning of the organisation, and I hope it comes to an end as soon as
possible.

John

[1] OSGeo Oceania Terms of Reference:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/13aZ6L08ke1-l32I7c00MahyEKgxeZkq8