[OSGeo Oceania] Fwd: [OSGeo-Discuss] Reminder: Sol Katz Award for Geospatial Free and Open Source Software - Call for Nominations

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Tue Jul 5 05:53:05 PDT 2022

Hi Adam,

Yes, simple for spam bots to attack that address (that comes to me).

Background: for the past 18 years (wow) I've been managing that award
process, and for all of those years the nominations email address was
posted as-is on websites, announcements, etc.

I would get 20+ spam attacks/day sent to that email address, at least.

So starting for this year's process, you are correct that we are not
publishing the email address as-is anymore (instead, using tricks as
solkatzaward at lists dot osgeo dot org )

This one change has made a massive difference.  It can't fully beat the
spam bots, but it does throw them a wrench to deal with.

So please try to refrain from posting that full email address.

Now you understand why :)

Finally, thanks for sharing the passion for #foss4g !  It is wonderful
to see the tradition of thanking someone in the FOSS4G community
continue, now for 18 years.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
GatewayGeo: Developers of MS4W, MapServer Consulting and Training