[OSGeo Oceania] SSSI / SIBA-GITA merger

Alex Leith alexgleith at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 15:58:11 PST 2022

Hey Folks

It has me considering re-joining the professional institute, and I might
look at re-certifying as well.

It'll be interesting to see how they mess with the membership model. I
always thought it would be good to introduce a free tier, and then start
charging smaller amounts for levels of standing or certification... it's
hard though, because membership-based organisations numbers are dropping.
SSSI always made around half their money in events, so they could just
focus on delivering that consistently across the Country and bring in
enough money to survive. On the business side, I'm not sure how it'll
work.. clearly SIBA was having trouble justifying what they do the their
partners (their source of funding was spatial businesses).

Anyhow, it's nice to see unification in the geospatial representative
bodies, just like we saw with Locate.

It's early days, but maybe next year we should reach out to talk to them
about how we can work together.

Cheers,

On Wed, 23 Nov 2022 at 10:51, Jonah Sullivan <jonahsullivan79 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I've heard news about this and it seems redundant: two of the three
> organisations already merged (SIBA|GITA) and the two remaining have been
> collaborating on most initiatives anyway.
>
> This merger does reduce the breadth of ideas and initiatives, however it
> concentrates efforts.
>
> Hopefully there is a renewed interest and motivation to engage with our
> profession.
>
> On Wed, 23 Nov 2022 at 00:14, Adam Steer <adam.d.steer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Oceanians
>>
>> I've just been reading about the merger of SSSI and SIBA-GITA:
>>

>> https://sssi.org.au/knowledge-hub/news/sssi-and-siba-gita-to-merge-and-form-the-geospatia?viewmode=0
>>
>> I hope this makes the landscape of geospatial associations easier to
>> navigate in the region - and look forward to seeing how OSGeo Oceania
>> and the new Geospatial Council of Australia interact (time to prepare
>> an MoU?)
>>
>> ...and if it is old news to everyone, my apologies! I hadn't seen any
>> chatter about it yet.
>>
>> Cheers from the Arctic winter,
>>
>> Adam

Alex Leith