[OSGeo Oceania] [Oceania-Board] Geospatial Council of Australia - thoughts?

Martin Tomko tomkom at unimelb.edu.au
Wed Mar 29 15:40:10 PDT 2023

Great points, Adam, all,
I am also in favor, but we need to be cautious that the position of OSGEO Oceania is strong and autonomous in all this ( along the lines that dam worded much better than I).

I have been (nominated by my employer) member of a Disaster Management and Recovery SIG in SSSI, which very quickly devolved into a VGI/Crowdsourcing group. I have been consistently pushing for interaction with OSGEO while I was active there, but I noticed a few direction that I really did not appreciate much:

  *   Extractive approaches to volunteering efforts ( what does XY data provider need, how can we get volunteers to contribute those data, little discussion about those data then being free and open for all);
  *   Misunderstanding of the take and give back attitude in OSM, attempts to use mapathons for deliberate institutional goals (validation of data quality, etc);
  *   Neglecting interaction ( at first) with the main representatives of OSM ( OSGEO Oceania)
  *   Drive to pursue any funded /grant opportunities in this space ( to my eyes, competing with OSGEO Oceania here).

I would hope that this is all because of the unfamiliar dynamics and models of operation in the volunteering space, but this si something that needs to change, and OSGEO should advocate for this, including wrt GCA.

We need to be aware that we have something to stand on (Regional reps for both OSGEO and OSM). How much commercial software depends on, e,g., GDAL, PROJ (and a lot of the geodesy around it too), all the Javascript libraries, etc? How many companies and industries depend on OSM? The more traditional spatial sciences/surveying community may not be aware of all this, and maybe this is an opportunity to raise awareness, and change attitudes, to empower all and any spatial effort in Australia.

Martin