[OSGeo Oceania] 2024 OSGeo Oceania board objectives

eli elipuccioni at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 12:38:19 PST 2024

Hi everyone,

Thanks for taking the time and sending us so many interesting inputs, we'll
do our best to capture and integrate all.

Adam, to answer your question about education:

After speaking with other  members of OO, especially in the Pacific area,
we have identified what could be a potential obstacle to learning OS GIS
software. If we support only with grants, as we have tried to do up to now,
we leave to the - usually - single organiser, who could be based in remote
areas with scarce internet connection, the burden to find resources and/or
capable trainers, and that could bring the initiative to a stop, We all
know all too well how much time and energy you have to dedicate to organise
free events as volunteers!

For this reason, I think we should discuss the opportunity to provide a
basic set of resources - maybe QGIS and QGIS field training material?
Anything else? - for people interested in running free training events that
we can provide on request (along with a grant, of course). That material
would also be useful for single user members who want to upskill in QGIS
but have not the time or capability to follow a training course. There is
so much free stuff online that shouldn't take too long to put together
something, especially if people from the community are willing to help with
what they have!

In my vision, we could also help people who organise free training in the
Pacific region to get in contact with QGIS trainees willing to help them,
but I understand here we could step in a conflict of interest with private
companies that do it for work, so happy to ditch this part!

cheers,
Elisa

Il giorno lun 8 gen 2024 alle ore 23:56 Adam Steer via Oceania <
oceania at lists.osgeo.org> ha scritto:

> Hi John, everyone
>
> I didn't have the ability to comment on the document, so here goes:
>
> - create an osgeo.org gitlab instance and move all this stuff there so we
> can interact via issues:D (that one is half serious... I know the community
> doesn't necessarily want to interact with git )
>
> I have just a few thoughts on a couple of areas:
>
> Comms:
> heavy plus to more open comms. In the news OSgeo just got a discourse
> instance running, maybe check in to see if a channel can be run there? OR
> set up an OO-administered discourse instance.
>
> Finances
> Paid memberships should be avoided, even if they're optional. It'll set up
> an expectation of service which I think is long-term harmful to OO. OO
> really needs to hold strongly to its current power to make decisions in the
> interests of the whole community.
>
> Direct sponsorship of OO is a good option to explore
>
> Education
> A question really: is OO planning to deliver education / training? is this
> more oriented at support, eg a grant program?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Adam
>
> On Sun, 7 Jan 2024 at 21:45, John Bryant via Oceania <
> oceania at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi all, the OSGeo Oceania board is meeting this Friday 12 Jan, and one of
>> the agenda items is setting some objectives for 2024.
>>
>> There was some interesting input from the audience at FOSS4G SotM Oceania
>> in October, which helps guide this exercise, but we would love to get
>> further input from the community. What do you think we should focus on in
>> the coming year? And of course, what would you be willing to put your own
>> time and energy into?
>>
>> Here's what we've got so far (work in progress):
>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1L0l_I15T-zm4LyLuwePq6ZfgS3OL9LEm
>>
>> Obviously we need to pick our battles and not every idea will be a focal
>> point, but it will be helpful to hear what's important to you.
>>
>> Your thoughts?
>>
>> Cheers
>> John

Potrebbe andar peggio...potrebbe piovere!