[GeoForAll-UrbanScience] Spatial analysis of social media (e.g. tweets)

Elrick, Tim tim.elrick at fau.de
Mon Sep 28 05:58:35 PDT 2015

Hi Charlie,

Your student might get some clues from the thesis of Bryan Schaefer @ USC who has some chapters on methodology he used: http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/ref/collection/p15799coll3/id/514559

Cheers,

Tim

+++

Dr. Tim Elrick

Institute of Geography

University of Erlangen-Nuremberg

Wetterkreuz 15

91058 Erlangen

Germany

Tel. +49 9131 852 3473

Fax +49 9131 852 2013

tim.elrick at fau.de

http://www.geographie.nat.uni-erlangen.de/personen/tim-elrick/?lang=en

Von: geoforall-urbanscience-bounces at lists.osgeo.org [mailto:geoforall-urbanscience-bounces at lists.osgeo.org] Im Auftrag von Charles Schweik
Gesendet: Montag, 28. September 2015 14:26
An: geoforall-urbanscience at lists.osgeo.org
Cc: Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com>; Salma El Idrissi <selidrissi at umass.edu>
Betreff: [GeoForAll-UrbanScience] Spatial analysis of social media (e.g., tweets)

Hi GeoForAll Urban Science thematic,

1) I have a graduate student interested in this topic. Does anyone know of any good geocrowdsourcing training literature around how one approaches the spatial analysis of tweets or other social media posts?

2) It would be great if we could somehow get operational a communication platform like the one PublicLab.org has where we could have students post research notes [1] that other interested people in our group or outside of the group could monitor. For example, people interested in the above topic or other topics. Any ideas on how we might do that? I'm copying Jeff McKenna because this could be something that would reside on the OSGeo web platform. I think what I am suggesting is a little different than a wiki or a blog... any ideas on how we might implement such an idea?

Cheers,

Charlie

[1] http://publiclab.org/research/

--
Charlie Schweik

Professor, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
Dept of Environmental Conservation and Center for Public Policy and Administration

Personal website: http://people.umass.edu/cschweik
Publications: http://works.bepress.com/charles_schweik/

Author, Internet Success: A Study of Open Source Software (MIT Press, 2012) - see http://tinyurl.com/d3e4545