[GeoForAll-UrbanScience] Poster: The Anthropocene—Human Impact on the Environment

Hogan, Patrick (ARC-PX) patrick.hogan at nasa.gov
Mon Sep 28 12:32:06 PDT 2015

This does a pretty good job of looking at the CitySmart ^broader^ ‘big picture’ in terms of the problem.
We desperately need to change this equation.

http://www.hhmi.org/biointeractive/poster-anthropocene-human-impact-environment
(you’ll want an engineering printer for this, even at 11x17 it’s tough to get all the value)

Subtext: An epoch is one of the smaller divisions of geologic time. Our current epoch, the Holocene, began about 11,600 years ago. But there is evidence that we are entering a new epoch that could be named the Anthropocene because it is marked by extensive human impacts on the environment. This poster explores evidence that future geologists might use to define the Anthropocene (when civilization recovers, a millennium or more from now).

(This poster is designed to be printed at a maximum size of 29.5" x 23.5")

Thanks much,
-Patrick

Patrick.Hogan at nasa.gov<mailto:Patrick.Hogan at nasa.gov>
 Program Manager