[OpenCitySmart] [Ica-osgeo-labs] Urban Transitions Global Summit

Hogan, Patrick (ARC-PX) patrick.hogan at nasa.gov
Sun Jan 17 16:15:34 PST 2016

Suchith, Emma, and All,

Yes, Urban Transitions, we either make this work or we are unmade!
What is the least common denominator for a global society? It is a City!
And you don't have to be blind to see it, but it can help! If you got rhythm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W130l1uoTY0

How can we best help each other while we are helping ourselves? It's the old adage, think global, act local! All cities have essentially the same problems to face, infrastructure management, transportation, construction, fire and safety, etcetera. Why are cities each left to each duplicate solutions to these identical needs? We are missing a great opportunity to recognize our commonality, and share the burden by dividing the problem and generating solutions that we can share, evolve and continually optimize.

This could also begin to help the world see itself as one for all and all for one, in both spirit and in action. In the words of John F. Kennedy, "We choose go to [OpenCitySmart] and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one we intend to win!" We need a common ^open^ platform that will allow us to add or subtract features we can all build to.

The NASA Europa Challenge, in concert with Politecnico di Milano at Como and the GeoForAll enterprise has this as our goal. Care to join us? http://eurochallenge.como.polimi.it/

-Patrick
(650) 604-5656 (office)
(650) 269-2788 (cell)