[OpenCitySmart] Possible conference for us - IASC July 2017?

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Sat Jul 9 08:41:57 PDT 2016

Hi Open City Smart colleagues,

See the call for papers link below [1]. This is the International
Association of the Study of the Commons -- I've mentioned this before to
our group. What we are striving to build is a digital commons of geospatial
software and educational materials.

We're going again for the NSF Research Coordination Network grant to
support our efforts, and that grant proposal will have some funding to have
some OpenCitySmart presence there (perhaps as an opportunity to run a
workshop on open source GIS to people studying natural resource commons).

But I'm wondering if anyone would want to submit a panel proposal around
OpenCitySmart related research (see research Track 7)?
This might be useful and easier for our colleagues in Europe, given this is
in the Netherlands. Perhaps we could work on papers related to "open
geospatial science and urban resilience"?

Secondly, I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in running a open
source geospatial technology workshop at this conference? Such as a
beginner or advanced GIS workshop on one of our technologies?

Anybody interested? I'd really like to try and connect this international
community studying "commons" issues with OpenCitySmart and our broader
GeoForAll and OSGeo community. I think it is two communities that should be
talking to one another.

Cheers
Charlie

[1] http://www.iasc2017.org/calls/call-for-papers/

--
Charlie Schweik

Professor, Department of Environmental Conservation &
Interim Director of the School of Public Policy,
University of Massachusetts, Amherst