[OpenCitySmart] Urban Resilience

Hogan, Patrick (ARC-PX) patrick.hogan at nasa.gov
Sun Jul 17 13:20:44 PDT 2016

Charlie,

More than literature, we’ve been living our lives for Urban Resilience.

The Platform:
We’ve been thinking about Urban Resilience for some time now, and is the primary reason we took Web WorldWind into the subsurface, so it could handle a city’s infrastructure, water, sewer, power, communication, etcetera.

The Criteria:
And Urban Resilience is the driver for https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Opencitysmart.

The Base Data:
Then there is all the work with Ron Fortunato and his UAS training program for imagery and LiDAR data acquisition, ground zero for any city to be able to geospatially manage itself. These critical elements, imagery and terrain, can be brilliantly accomplished by WorldBridge high school students. http://aworldbridge.com/real-time-projects/unmanned-aircraft-systems--/.

Then there is the Europa Challenge, http://eurochallenge.como.polimi.it/

As for 100Resilient, my opinion is that is a black hole, a place where there would be plenty of take and no give. For over a year now, since March of 2015, I’ve have seriously tried on several occasions to open up a dialogue with them, through Michael Berkowitz, specifically with regard to our presumed mutual interest in the MDG SDG #11 “Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable,” http://citiscope.org/story/2014/comparing-mdgs-and-sdgs#No11
And for the half-dozen inquiries I have made, I have gotten nada, zero, zip. My impression is they’ll be glad to take whatever you give them and then ‘Hasta la vista baby.’

-Patrick
(650) 604-5656 (office)
(650) 269-2788 (cell)