[OpenDroneMap-users] laptop recommendation

Frederic Muller fred at cm17.com
Sun Apr 12 10:27:12 PDT 2015

On 04/13/2015 12:12 AM, Alex Mandel wrote:
> On 04/12/2015 05:48 AM, Frederic Muller wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I was thinking to add a laptop to my hexacopter which purpose is to do
>> orthophoto. Do you have any recommendation regarding the CPU/RAM/HDD and
>> Video for such a dedicated machine?
>>
>> What do you guys run ODM on?
>>
>> Thanks a lot.
>>
>> Fred
>
> My recommendation is to not use a laptop. I'm also confused about your
> wording, you want to fly the laptop or just use the laptop to
> post-process the images. Is the reason for a laptop so you can see
> results in the field? That's unrealistic unless you subsample to a very
> small set of photos.
>
> A desktop, server, or virtualized server will in almost all cases
> provide faster results. In the case of virtualized you can also only pay
> a few cents an hour when you use it.
>
> CPU seems to matter the most right now so Intel i7 or 2600v3 cpu, solid
> state disks never hurt. At this time ODM does not appear to need huge
> amounts of RAM. It also does not yet leverage any GPU offloading, though
> there has been discussion of it.
>
> -Alex

Sorry for the confusion. The "system" (read hexacopter + computer) will
be used in a remote area with no internet access. The plan is to use
Mission Planner for the mission planning and ODM for the image
post-processing. A desktop does not seem the best solution in our case
as infrastructure is very bad too (unreliable electricity sources, etc).
We are thinking to have a casing with everything inside for easy of
transportation and protection.

Thanks for the other details as those will help.

Fred