[Dev] [webmap-discuss] VectorLayer design

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sun Oct 15 00:44:33 EDT 2006

Cameron,

I would like to add some additional use cases:

TC has loaded some polygon data from different sources. He has some some
adjacent polygons that he want to share a common edge. He needs to
select each polygon and the start and end of the shared edge on each
that needs to be snapped together. The first polygon can be the control
and the second one gets manipulated. The edge of the second between the
start and end gets removed and replaced by points from the first between
its start and end marks.

TC does not like some of the points on the shared edge, he would like to
select the two polygons and move some of the points along the shared
edge and some that are not shared. After looking at his handiwork and TC
would like to undo the last few moves.

TC thinks it is a bother to keep selecting both polygons to do the
manipulation and would prefer to "link them together" along the common edge.

To some extent this imply using topology, and planning for topology
support could be very powerful, but this can also be done by maintaining
some additional pointers and tracking and updating their children and
avoiding circular references.

-Steve W.